Friday, February 12, 2010

National day of Mourning

Today marks the month anniversary of the historic earthquake in Haiti. A month ago, I was still giddy with excitement over Aliette's referral. Only a week had passed. I was making plans to travel to the orphanage in April to begin the court proceedings and I was preparing for a 1.5 year wait. As you know, all of that changed on January 12th. Her orphanage was destroyed, but no one perished. They have lived outside under the stars in a make shift camp with little food and water. Two of the three babies have come home, and Aliette will be making her way home shortly. It has been a very long month for my family. It has been filled with such highs and lows. Relief and deep sorrow knowing my daughter is in Haiti and there is nothing I can do to bring her home faster. My story appeared in 2 newspapers, one year book, and on local news. Her homecoming will be celebrated near and far. For that I'm grateful because maybe from the chaos and rubble will come some blessings.

Lord, today I pray for the Haitian people for strength to rebuild and for a day to remember all of the love ones they have lost. I pray for the relief workers and those in the government who have been working around the clock to bring hope and stability to all those affected. I pray for the caretakers at the orphanage that they continue to be resourceful and get the necessary supplies. Finally, I lift up Aliette. Lay your hands on her and cure her. Remove all sickness from her body and restore her health. Surround her with your love and reassure her that she is loved and that mommy is on her way. All of this, I ask this in Jesus name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment