Wednesday, January 20, 2010

What is in a name?

A few people have asked if I will call her Aliette or Allie. Prior to the earthquake I was sure I wanted to change her name to Allie Paige, so it would flow better with my last name. When Aliette comes into the US she will not have a passport or visa, so I will become her legal guardian, rather than her mother. I will need to go through the adoption process here, but I have no idea what hoops I will need to jump through, how long it will take, or how much money will it cost. So, all of her papers will say Aliette B.... I love the name Aliette, but it is a tongue twister. I'm also torn because Haiti is in ruins and for now all Aliette has from her homeland is her name. Who am I to take that from her? So I'm leaning toward keeping her given name and using Allie as a nick name.

No comments:

Post a Comment