Saturday, January 16, 2010

Update from Joint Council

Joint Council Update
Humanitarian Parole It is the position of Joint Council that the U.S. government should immediately grant humanitarian parole to all Haitian children being adopted by a U.S. family. At present, Joint Council is appealing with the U.S. government, specifically the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), to issue humanitarian paroles for any child that has been referred to an American family. If DHS issues humanitarian paroles, the children would not need a visa to enter the U.S. and be united with you. This would minimize the paperwork and possibly eliminate the need to find documents, which have been destroyed in the earthquake. Given the urgent needs of the children and the fact that they have you, we believe that humanitarian parole is the most humane solution. We will continue to work this weekend and into next week to achieve this goal. Again, please remember that at this time, we do not have confirmation from the Department of Homeland Security regarding humanitarian parole, but we are working towards that goal.From our many, many meetings with Members of Congress, the Department of State and the Department of Homeland Security, we feel that you should know that your government is working very hard to find a solution which will help get your children into the safe, permanent and loving setting of your family.

Today's church retreat was exactly what I needed. A beautiful "warm" day, surrounded by caring prayer warriors. It was a time of self reflection and a time to count my blessings. It was a time to refuel. One of the break out sessions, I actually found a very comfy sofa and took a power nap. As you notice the time stamps on my posts, I'm not sleeping very much, so I really enjoyed my power nap. Although it was windy and cold sitting on a large stone by the water, I heard God weeping along with me. FYI As Olivia would say "My eyes are leaking." For the past few days, anything can set off the tears. They usually are short lived, but cleansing. I've decided it is not healthy to keep things bottled up so I'm letting it flow. I'm putting my trust in God that the government will work quickly and Allie will be in my arms sooner than later. I'm making lists of things I need to do before I leave and things I will need for Allie's arrival. Since I wasn't expecting her for another 2 years, you can see the problem. Don't worry the lists are growing and I'm sure there be something for everyone.

A few of you have asked about how Olivia handling this, she is great. After the retreat we went to the Downtown Cabaret to see Hansel and Greta. It was the best play I've seen in a long time, if you are in CT it is a must see. At the end of the performance instead of collecting money for their troop, all the money will be going to UNICEF. Two of their company was in Haiti visiting family, they have yet to hear about their safety. Please pray for there safety and safe return. At the end of the performance they sign autographs and Olivia showed each one her sister. She then followed it up by saying, there is a problem in her home and mommy is going to a meeting to bring her home. Out of the mouths of babes. Explanation: to avoid a meltdown and pleas to come w/ me, any time I do anything, I tell her I have to go to a meeting. She knows meetings are boring and you can't play or watch movies, so she has no desire to go with me. A little white lie, but one that avoids a melt down, I think God will forgive me.

I'll continue to keep you posted as news come in.
Much love and many blessings,
Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment